Pages

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Some more of the books I've been reading lately

1. 'Crap Taxidermy' by Kat Su
I've been following Crap Taxidermy on Instagram for a while, marvelling at the crazy images of dodgy taxidermy so when I saw this book on Net Galley, I couldn't resist requesting it. It was a quick read. I read it on the train journey back from a day at Alton Towers and it was pretty entertaining although I don't think it was as great as I'd hoped it would be. I guess having already seen a whole host of funny images on the internet kinda ruined it for me a little. The one really cool thing though was a step by step guide on how to create your own taxidermy mouse. If I didn't have two cats who'd try to eat it, I'd love to have a go at it.
3/5 for this quirky little book. Worth a read if you're into the weird and wonderful art of taxidermy.








2. 'Frenemy of the People' by Nora Olsen.
I have to admit that the cover was what drew me to request this novel on Net Galley. The girl on the cover looks like someone I would love to know, or somebody that the teenage me would have wanted to be. I kind of wish this book had been around when I was a teenager. A Young Adult novel with Clarissa,  a newly out of the closet bisexual girl falling for Lexie, the only gay girl in her school, a girl she thought she hated. It's your typical teen romance with a queer twist. The only problem I had was that at times it felt a little preachy. I don't mean in a religious way. More in a moral sense. I felt as though the writer was trying to force some moral values onto the reader, the idea that we should accept everyone for who they are and that our differences are what make us special. And while that's a good moral to promote, I think it came across a little heavy handed via Lexie's staunch beliefs and actions. All in all this was a pretty awesome book though and I'd recommend it to any teen girl dealing with issues around sexuality. Another 3/5 for this one.

3. 'A Dance with Dragons Part 1' by George R.R. Martin.
What can I say about this book without giving away any spoilers... Tyrion's back in this instalment, which was great because I really missed his presence in the last book. It was also great to see more of Daenarys but I kinda missed the goings on at King's Landing. I feel as though as this series goes on I'm enjoying it less. The first three books were packed full of action and these later ones seem to be dragging a bit. It may just be my impatience for Daenarys to stop pissing about freeing slaves and make the journey to Westeros but anyway, I'm still looking forward to reading the next one. I need to know what happens next! Yet again, 3/5 for this one. That seems to be my default rating at the moment.

Have you guys read anything interesting lately? Any GOT fans struggling with the later books?

No comments: